HW-101

Mike Miller wa0zog at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Dec 27 11:39:29 EST 2006

Hello Paul and the list:
   Brian's got some good points, definitely.  I, too, think I'd leave
the boards in the rig and possibly clean with some alcohol at some
point, but I'd start off a little different.

   I'd start by cleaning with a small computer vacuum instead of
compressed air.  Working in the computer industry, we've blown air into
dusty places and actually had the dust short out equipment we later had
to repair.  I doubt you've got that much dust, nor are you working with
that type of environment, but it's just good practice.  Don't use a
really high-powered vacuum, as that can pull things loose that may not
be soldered well, but a lower suction vacuum that can remove just the
dust is fine.  Following that with the compressed air and a final second
vacuuming will complete the dust removal.

   Look over the boards after this step and determine how much of a
cleaning they really need.  The boards in the HW-101 are screwed down,
not held down with push clips (both fortunately and unfortunately).  The
screws are needed for grounding in this rig.  You can do that with
either the alcohol or water method, though I'd be more inclined myself
to use alcohol and a Q-tip.  It takes much longer, but I feel better
knowing that I've not immersed anything that I can't identify as not
being a paper composite.  Like most people on the list, you probably
wouldn't have any problems, but I know my luck...  I'd concentrate on
the major parts of each board and clean anything you can reach at this
time.  Anything, that is, except what's around the tube sockets...since
the tubes will be in your way.  Get as close to them as you can, though.

   Then I'd remove the tubes one at a time and check and clean them.
Obviously, replace any that are bad or weak, since they'll cause you
problems...the bad ones immediately (but you already knew that), and the
weak ones over time.  Clean the tube sockets (and surrounding areas)
first as Brian mentioned, then by inserting and removing the tubes two
or three times...just be careful with the tube pins, some are fragile.

   Clean the case with Windex, and I think you'll be in good shape.
Windex always works for my HW-101 without hurting it, never an issue.
That at least covers the cleaning aspect.

   One thing I'd do, though, since you're not sure if it's ever been
used or not, is to take the manual (hope she provided it as well), and
go through the build steps from start to finish.  My -101 was provided
to me as an unfinished kit that I had to complete.  I did find that the
builder mixed up a couple of steps that I had to correct.  You likely
won't find the same things, but it's good to check if you don't know the
status of the rig or if it's ever been used.  Certainly a good idea at
any rate, and always good in a restoration.

   Paul, good luck, and enjoy your new-found "toy!"

      73,
         Mike - WA0ZOG