SB-610 P.S. diodes

Stu Lyon w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Feb 4 21:20:53 EST 2006

Hi Allen,

The selenium rectifiers can be replaced with two 1N4007s in series --
I've done it on two -610s and a -620. They should be from the same
manufacturer and hopefully from the same lot (or bag) so as to match
reverse resistance as close as possible. You can use single 1N4007s for
D1/D2 and D3/D4

I also replaced all the electrolytics with modern radial-leaded caps,
installed under the chassis. I think I installed additional terminal
strips to mount the caps (it's been a while).  I replaced the
high-voltage filter caps on only one -610 but not the other two -- it
didn't seem necessary. The only resistors I replaced were the high value
ones in the focus / intensity circuits. They were really off.

I have a question for you about the display of the SB-610: On both the
units I rebuilt the display on CW is sort of a reverse keystone or
trapezoid. The horizontal sweep width is slightly less on the top of the
display as compared to the bottom of the display. The setup is the same
as fig 4, pg 41 of the manual. Does yours do this and if so, do you know
why?

73, Stu W6CUX