Enhanced Apache TX-1 Audio

rayfri rayfri at HIGHSTREAM.NET
Mon Jan 2 10:18:00 EST 2006

Just my two cents worth....   My own curiousity I might say ... NOT
denigrating anyone, please understand that up front.
"To each his own as Mrs. Murphy said as she kissed the cow
goodnight"....    HI HI.    Now, that said .....

I think many many many of the suggested improvements and modifications
for these older rigs are great and beneficial.   However, many times I
shake my head at what appears to be attempts now days (especially among
the NEW generation of hams who are not adverse to coming right out and
admitting it) to get "better audio," which usually translates to
something like "I want my rig to have broadcast radio or studio quality
audio."   Modifications .... use of WAY expensive Senheiser microphones
and elements, equalizers ... and other things like that, just to sound
like our local radio station  HI HI.

Some of these attempts to get studio quality audio end up costing more
than the rig did when the company first manufactured it.
I've heard price quotes for the Senheiser microphones or elements that
are more than the Apache cost when Heath first introduced it.

FOLKS ... this is HAM RADIO ... this is COMMUNICATIONS ...  this is NOT
broadcasting.   We are not broadcasting the New York Philharmonic
Orchestra.  We are having a conversation.   WHY do you want to have
studio quality audio during a communications procedure?  Personally, as
long as I can understand what  youre saying, I dont particularly care or
notice whether youre tonsils are
giving forth with that beautiful bass tonal quality or you have the
falsetto voice of a pubescent teenager...    HI HI.
And, if it's a DX or other contest, we've only said three words to each
other before we are history and a mere log entry to each other.

Again ... just my own idle curiousity...  not a complaint or criticism.
Ray  WA7ITZ