Amplitude Modulation in Central Florida

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at BLOMAND.NET
Mon Jan 9 09:23:41 EST 2006

Correctly stated Pete.

Today's 100 watt PEP radios on AM should run only 25 watts of carrier. Thus
when modulated 100% the PEP value of the AM signal is 100 watts.  I find all
too often folks are running more power on the 100 watt radios than they
should.  The result is poor modulation, splatter, distortion not to mention
the potential risk of failure.  If in doubt, look at your signal on a
monitor scope.  I'll be you'll be surprised at what you see.  Are your
modulation peaks actually making 100% positive?  At 30 to 50 watts of
carrier I doubt it.

Remember, for AM operation carrier power x 4 = PEP power.

Thus:

25 watts AM = 100 watts PEP
50 watts AM = 200 watts PEP
375 watts AM = 1500 watts PEP