Enhanced Apache TX-1 Audio

mgriff mgriff at WESTELCOM.COM
Mon Jan 9 08:38:20 EST 2006

Lin, Ray and other lister's,
      I am in agreement here. The thrill of "struggling" along with
unmodified vintage gear is like returning to a slice of an earlier,
unhurried, time. For the past few years I have been using vintage gear on HF
cw, and 6mtr AM about 90% of time. My Yaesu Mark V/ FTV 1000 6 mtr xcvr are
used the other 10%.
     Tried HF am few times with verious rig's, including HT 37/HQ 170
set-up, and was soon recieving "tip's" on how to modify the audio to sound
more pleasing. I seriously thought about it, then remembered I why I was
using this gear in the first place.
     Now I stick to cw most of the time, so as to not offend the pureist out
there, hi!
     The DX 40/60 net's sound like fun, and I will try to join in from here
in NNY, with CC/screen mod.    Tnx, Jeff k3kyr at arrl.net

----- Original Message -----
From: <digital-conjurers at ADELPHIA.NET>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: [HEATH-TEMPE] Enhanced Apache TX-1 Audio

Ray,

That kinda hits the same note here, though in a different way.  Now, I know
that Hams love "modding" their equipment, but if you're into the
preservation ethic, wellll...if I started modifying my Apache to the point
that it had great audio, it would no longer be what was originally, as the
kit came from the factory...a "Scratchy Apache".  The way I look at at,
that's what makes it what it is.  It's not a design defect, (some might
disagree) it's the way it was designed (or so I am told), to put all the
energy into a narrower passband for better communications intelligibility in
difficult conditions. Collins, Johnson, maybe even Hallicrafters, all
probably have "better audio".

Car collectors are finding the same problem...it's hard to find original
classic cars that haven't been hot-rodded, modded, chopped, etc.  A friend
of mine wails in despair every time he sees a early 50's Lincoln Hot Rod, as
he wants to buy one that remained "Just Stock".  But he's not a Hot Rodder.
:)

OTOH, if you're really into AM BC quality audio, gosh, there are lots of
vintage AM transmitters out there that'll make that trip better, I
imagine...but, if that's your thing, and you only have an Apache, well, go
for it, I guess.   "à chacun, leurs propres." (To each, their own.)

-Lin/KJ6EF

>FOLKS ... this is HAM RADIO ... this is COMMUNICATIONS ...  this is NOT
broadcasting.   We are not broadcasting the New York Philharmonic Orchestra.
We are having a conversation.   WHY do you want to have studio quality audio
during a communications procedure?  Personally, as long as I can understand
what  youre saying, I dont particularly care or notice whether youre tonsils
are
>giving forth with that beautiful bass tonal quality or you have the
falsetto voice of a pubescent teenager...    HI HI.
>And, if it's a DX or other contest, we've only said three words to each
other before we are history and a mere log entry to each other.