Question on grounding (at the rig) - longish.

Don Melcher don at HFRADIO.COM
Sun Jul 9 13:04:31 EDT 2006

I'll answer one - don't have the time right now for the rest

4. Does anyone sell a giant snap on ferrite cylinder with a 1/2 in hole
in its centre that I could put over the cold water pipe, regardless of
where I attach the braid, so the very little RF (of the HF range) would
flow back in the 'upwards' direction should that also prove to be a
semi-good path to ground (it could flow that way even if it's not as
good as the typical 'direct' way back to the base of the city water feed
pipe.)

I am not sure you would want to do this - but to answer your question about
availability - Yes - there are snap around beads - with a 1/2" i.d. hole -
but I doubt that your water pipe is actually 1/2" o.d. - it is 1/2" "nominal
size". If it is copper, then it is 5/8" o.d., and about 3/4" if it is
galvanized. That being said - you can take ANY ferrite core that would be
big enough to go around the pipe and break it in two and put it TIGHTLY back
together around the pipe and it would still work. More cores would have the
same effect as one bigger one. The "mix" of the core will determine how much
effect it has at H.F.

Don
W6CZ