Question on grounding (at the rig) - longish.

James Cundiff dadofpetie at COMCAST.NET
Sun Jul 9 13:26:42 EDT 2006

Hey Robert,
    I just went through all this grounding stuff at my home about 2
years ago. The most important thing is to make sure there is only 1
ground potential in your home! The ground for your station should be as
short as possible AND tied into your electric service ground. Two
separate ground rods several feet apart can have different potentials
due to the ground soil  conditions. Stay away from using water or gas
pipes ( Yes, there are those that actually tie their grounds to gas
pipes!) Some places install plastic water lines in the yard. In my case
it required 8 of the 8 ft ground rods about 5 ft apart and tied together
with #4 solid copper wire. The extra work is well worth the peace of
mind. I work for the local utility here and so I was able to borrow a
megger to test my system. They told me the local lines were at about 10
ohms on this meter, and any where near that would be good. My system
checked in at 9! I can't urge you enough to take the time and do it
right! I hope this helps. 73

In His service,
Jim Cundiff KB3GFC