Question on grounding (at the rig) - longish.

Don Melcher don at HFRADIO.COM
Tue Jul 11 13:26:17 EDT 2006

One of the best publications on the subject is "Grounds for Lightning
Protection" from Polyphaser - It should be in everybody's library.

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List [mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]
On Behalf Of TChesek at Epix.Net
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:43 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: [HEATH-TEMPE] Question on grounding (at the rig) - longish.

When I think that I know the answer I question myself. I am in the process
of installing a vertical antenna at one end of my house and my electric
service ground is at the other end at a total of about 54 feet distance.
Everything that I have read states that all ground rods should be tied
together. Is it better to install one ground field of numerous rods in a
cluster or is it acceptable to run copper wire from the antenna ground rod
and tie it to the electric service ground rod? Also, my "shack" is a room
closer to the electric service side of the house and I had planned to also
sink a rod directly in front of that room and also tie it to the other rods.
My antenna will use suspended radials for RF which will tie into the rod at
the antenna. Your thoughts?

Tom K3TVC