Heterodyne Crystal Failures Mode?

Bob and Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Fri Jul 21 11:06:58 EDT 2006

Good observation, Jim, and astute thinking. As a long-time (40+ years)
as an electrical engineer (many of those in the RF field), I would also
have a skeptical attitude that 'bad crystals' are to blame. They could
be bad but it is also possible that the oscillator circuits (due to
aging of components and tubes) have simply fallen off in gain. A another
contributing factor might be an increase in the series resistance of the
crystals.

So if I were faced with this problem, I would start off by measuring the
characteristics of the crystal (series resistance, shunt capacity and
equivalent series L and C). If you don't get anything then it's bad and
should be replaced. If the series R is a bit high then I would take a
look at the oscillator circuit and see if I couldn't tweak it's design
to to handle the increased R.

Hard to say where one might go past this point but I think the start is
to measure the 'bad' crystals first. Then decide what to try next. If
anyone has some 'bad' crystals, I would be glad to try to get some
measurements on them (contact me off list).

I have a story here that bears on 'bad' crystals (one of many stories,
by the way). Way back when, at a large electronics firm (you can guess
which one - it was located in St. Joseph, Michigan) which had just
started building computers, the first boards for a new computer had a
'crystal' problem (including mine which was one of the very first) which
lead to a temperature related failure (the computer stopped working
after 30 minutes - not a desirable attribute!!). I wandered down to the
production area and talked with a technician on the line. He said
'yeah....we are getting a lot of those - bad crystals' and he pointed to
large pile on his work bench. They would just replace the crystals until
the board worked!  So I took a scope home and trouble shot the problem
myself - it was not bad crystals at all but rather a weak oscillator!  I
came up with a fix, took it to the Computer Department the next day and
the change was made on the line in rush.

So it always helps to apply a little engineering and science to problems.

73 de WA2CKY
Bob Groh
420 NE Sunview Circle
Blue Springs, MO 64014-2045