Heterodyne Crystal Failures Mode?

Jim Flanagan jflan at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Thu Jul 20 21:32:57 EDT 2006

Hey guys..
I noticed that the Het Osc crystals seem to fail fairly often in the
HW101. This appears particularly true
for the upper 10 meter band crystals.  Has there ever been a technical
evaluation as to
why this seems to be the case?  I was curious if anyone has attempted to
remove the outer case
of these bad crystals and resolve the problem.  Of course, if the actual
quartz material has
been broken due to shock,etc, then that is one thing.

Any thoughts?

Jim
WB5KYE