QRP rig for Hawaiian Cruise..Saturday- Heath HW8/9 or ??

W5EUQ w5euq at VERIZON.NET
Tue Jul 25 19:42:41 EDT 2006

Any ideas?
This Saturday morning I fly to Honolulu, with my beautiful wife, for a
seven day cruise of the Hawaiian Islands.  Plans have been to take my
Icom 7000/LDG Z11Pro, Astron power supply and gear to support, such as
antennas/miniature iambic key/keyer and laptop.   After much soul
searching I have decided to not take the above gear.  Reasons are many
however here are a couple.  One, I'd have to carry the heavy bag ( I'm
not a young feller any more) through the air ports and it all weighs
over 50 lbs.
Two, if the ship would not let me take it on, I'd have to find a way to
ship it back to myself.  The gear is expensive gear.  I have no problem
with a couple of hundred dollars lost but close to $1,800 worth of
gear........ No....
I have emailed the ship lines, months back and no answer.  I called the
ship recently, even talked to an officer of the bridge on the bridge. He
was very helpful but no one said okay.   I could not get in contact with
the purser and no one would tell me anything but an emphatic NO!!!
(then when asked if they knew what ham radio was...the answer
was..."no"...)

If I had been able to predict this, I would have planned to take a QRP
CW rig with a battery on ship... used a wire hanging off my balcony and
if I contacted one ham, just one QSO,  then I could say I had done
it..... and it would be great.

KH6ZM, Max, said he would meet me at the ship on the first day out.
I've tried to figure out how to get a QRP rig at this late date and get
it to him to give me to take on the ship.  If anyone has a complete
outfit, CW would be fine, and get it to Max by Saturday, then I would
make sure you got it back.  OR ship it overnight, at my expense to me in
Tampa by Friday.  I have a very small electronic key that works off a
watch battery.  I can make my own antennas... eg.. 32 foot piece of wire
and counterpoise the ship...
Any takers?  thank you,  Bob Hardie-  W5EUQ-  Tampa