[AMRadio] Heathkit DX-100

Dennis Pharr dkpharr at COX.NET
Mon Jun 19 13:06:07 EDT 2006

This link might help on the paint question:

http://home.comcast.net/~zcomco/Faux_Heathkit_Paints.htm

73
Dennis
WD5JWY

-----Original Message-----
From: amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net
[mailto:amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of TChesek at Epix.Net
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 10:17 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV; Discussion of AM Radio
Subject: [AMRadio] Heathkit DX-100

I just acquired a Heathkit DX-100 for repair/restoration for personal use
and am looking for a few resources. I need a red knob for the 6146 grid
drive. There is also a piece of the VFO dial broken out. If I can't find a
replacement it is not a big deal because the rest of the dial is in decent
condition, but if I had a better one I would use it. The face plate of this
radio is also only in fair condition. Has anyone come across a source for
replacements like I've seen on eBay for SB-200's and HW-16's? Lastly,
without going to the paint store for custom mixing has anyone picked up the
two shades of grey paint for the cabinet? Again, if not it is not a big
deal. I'm sure these grey colors should be fairly easy to match or come
close to.

I'm looking for comments also on the antenna loading circuit. The original
coarse/fine arrangement has been replaced with a 3 section variable that
measures 1100 pf to 2920 pf using my ECG Capacitance meter. The DX-100
article in the June ER Magazine makes reference to Heath's modification
using a 3 section variable totaling about 1200 pf. The original circuit
switched in 200, 400, 600, or 800 pf and then used a 250 pf variable
allowing matching of 50-600 ohms. Since I will be using unbalanced (coax)
does this value seem appropriate and what might I expect?

This transmitter also has been modified for use with a SB-10. The
modification is done nicely with the 0B2 tubes mounted underneath and a
rotary switch on the front panel on the right side providing a geometric
balance to the meter switch. The only negative to this mod is the way holes
were hacked in the rear cabinet screen material for the SO-239's.

I thing it is well worth the $49 I paid on eBay. The seller lives near my
brother who picked it up and met me at a family anniversary party this
weekend saving shipping charges.

73,

Tom K3TVC