Antenna coils Traps

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 4 11:38:26 EST 2006

A loaded antenna is no more likely to generate
harmonics than a non-loaded one.  A trap dipole, since
it is resonant on several bands can radiate harmonics
that are generated in the transmitter.

Now any dipole is resonant on odd multiples, i.e. 1/2
wave, 3/2 wave, 5/2 wave, etc., and will radiate
harmonics that are 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc., that are
generated in the transmitter.  When traps are used so
that the antenna is resonant on other bands, any
harmonics that are generated by the transmitter on
those bands and odd multiples of those bands will be
generated.

A properly manufactured trap shouldn't actually
generate any harmonics.  However, since they make the
antenna resonant on other frequencies any harmonics
(or any other spurious energy) that is generated in
the transmitter can be easily radiated.

Glen, K9STH

--- Fred Wittman <wittfa19 at earthlink.net> wrote:

I've always heard that loaded dipoles were notorious
for generating harmonics, for that reason I've never
used one.  An off-thread remark I admit, but...any
thoughts?

Glen, K9STH

Web sites

http://home.comcast.net/~k9sth