HW-101

AA1XD aa1xd at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 31 09:20:33 EDT 2006

Hello to the group
  I have recently been given a HW-101 that is physically in excellent shape. It hasnt been powered up for 22 years until yesterday. I put it on my variac for about 8 hours and slowly brought the power up. The receive works excellent.
  My question is about the SSB output. I have approximately 90-100 watts output in the tune and CW modes. SSB output is very low, worse on USB than LSB.  It does however transmit. I have made contact with a friend of mine in Georgia. He told me that the audio is very clear, just not a lot of signal. Best I can do on peaks on USB is about 5 watts. LSB will do about 15. Where is a good place to start??

  Given that info, I will tell you that I am not a first class technician. Some will tell you that I know just about enough to be dangerous.  I do know some tube theory but am stronger on solid state. But the old radio gear fascinates me, so I would like to get this going to add to my collection. I also own a Hallicrafters SX-100 and a Drake 2B that I brought back to life.
  Thanks in advance for any help
  Gene AA1XD
  Fayette, Maine

Sneak preview the  all-new Yahoo.com. It's not radically different. Just radically better.