Some useful SB-301 mods

Stu Lyon w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Nov 18 23:58:36 EST 2006

Here are some useful SB-301 mods that have been incorporated in the many
SB-301 receivers I've owned over the years. Most (all?) are simple and
easy to install. At one time I owned six -301s -- but right now my count
is zero so I can't help with any pictures etc..

1. *_Using the VHF converter switch as a input attenuator._* This is an
enhancement of Mark's work (WB8JKR) described in his posting of:
http://listserv.tempe.gov/admin/WA.EXE?A2=ind0307&L=HEATH&P=R5283&I=-3
My contribution is a more rigorous calculation of the component values.
I used a noise bridge to measure the input resistance and calculated the
attenuator components based on these values. I found the Zin on 40 mtrs
to be about 25 ohms and on the higher bands -- 50 ohms (no measurements
were made on 80). Using *240* ohms between HF and VHF2 jacks and *1.2K*
between VHF2 and VHF1 jacks gives -15db / -30 db when Zin is 50 ohms. On
40 meters where the measured Zin was 25 ohms, the attenuation was -21db
/ -36db.  I found that Mark's idea was very useful when my neighbor is
running a swap net at max pwr.

2. _*Fast attack AGC from the SB-101 (etc).*_ This mod. copies the
SB-101 AGC to improve the attack time. Install a 2.4K resistor in series
with C228 (0.2uf) at pin4 of the AGC switch. Short out R112 (4.7K).
Parallel C114 with an additional 10pf. The AGC diodes can be replaced
with 1N5711 Schottky diodes ($0.13 at Mouser).

3. _*Less audio hiss from product detector.*_ At the plate of V9A there
is a 47K/ 470pf combination  (R223/ C241) that forms a 7.2KHz 1st order
LPF on the detected audio. Place a .001uf cap in parallel with C241 to
lower the LPF cutoff to 2.4 KHz for more pleasant audio.

4. _*A good counter cheap.*_ QST for Sept. 2006 (pg 28) describes the
FCC1 counter that is ideal for measuring the various BFO and HFO
oscillators in the SB rigs. It has a resolution of 1 hz, a max frequency
of greater than 60 MHZ and cost about $40.
See: http://home.earthlink.net/~stu.ebay/images/FCC1/DCP00930.JPG  where
I am measuring a GDO at 80 MHz.

I am now using the kit of the 21st century -- an Elecraft K2/100. But I
still have a HW-101 running just to remind myself what high voltage
feels like.

73, Stu W6CUX