SB-303 LMO Problem

Pat Bunsold wa6mhz at COX.NET
Tue Oct 17 23:08:50 EDT 2006

I finally got this junker SB-303 to play and it seemed to work well,
until I turned the dial up.  All the voltages are correct, which is
the 10V, but at dial settings above 100 khz, the LMO takes off and
starts to oscillate in funny ways.  I disconnected it from the Mixer
and watched it on a scope.  in the 0 to 100 khz region, it is fine.
I know it is not 0-100, that is just the dial reference.  Looking at
the cams, all the cams are fully CCW until you reach the 100 khz
mark, so it may have something to do with that.  It completely freaks
out at some frequencies, taking off and providing a white noise type
of effect. The sine wave has multiple ringing and very fuzzy.   Returning it to below 100 khz and it works fine with a
clean pure sine wave.  What could be wrong?  I know the LMO must be
defective, but What in the LMO is defective?  Since these go for a
MINT on Ebay, I will have to tear this apart and try to fix it.  Is
it the transistor or FET that is freaking out or something about the
LMO Coil?  I saw another one listed on Ebay today that had the same
problem.  Works fine 0-100 Khz and then dies.  Anyone have any
ideas???
--
Pat Bunsold WA6MHZ
San Diego Section Manager