SB-303 LMO FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat Bunsold wa6mhz at COX.NET
Wed Oct 18 10:03:50 EDT 2006

Last message I told of how the LMO was completely freaking out.  I was prepared to buy another LMO or tear this one apart, a very difficult and painstaking task.  It turns out that either of those would have resulted in the problem NOT going away!!  Deep in the manual, on page 105, they tell how to make an LMO Load resistor which must be plugged into the LMO OUTPUT jack.  They don't say why, and most hams who get a 303 probably don't have one there or notice it is missing.  It seems the LMO is a poor stability design where it has to have this load or it will take off.  I had searched for SB303 LMO on Google and found a post on another board long ago of a ham who had the exact same problem as I.  So  that is all that is wrong with the new SB-303 on Ebay now, someone can nab it for a STEAL!!  I just wonder HOW MANY SB-303 owners have torn their hair out with this exact same problem, and wound up selling off their nice 303 JUST because of this obscure problem?  Heathkit made an outstanding receiver here, but dropped the ball on the design on this point!  They should have had the LMO load on the output and then put a buffer amp to the SB-401 LMO output jack!!  They save a few pennies and caused hundreds 303 owners around the world to SLEDGEHAMMER thier "hopelessly broke" rig!!
Thanks to all who were going to answer me and tell me the obvious: READ THE MANUAL!!!
73!!
--
Pat Bunsold WA6MHZ
San Diego Section Manager