DX-60 Repair Adventure, or DX-60 only Works on its Side

Don Melcher don at HFRADIO.COM
Wed Sep 6 11:06:50 EDT 2006

Classic case of whoever built it did not follow Heath's instructions to the
letter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List [mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]
On Behalf Of Freeberg, Scott (STP)
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:54 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] DX-60 Repair Adventure, or DX-60 only Works on its
Side

By now I'm starting to notice that it often works on its side but it never
works when its sitting down on the table...  Up/down, Up/down, work/no work
:))) With the TX on its side,
I continued tapping but I couldn't find a sensitive area.  I got down on the
floor so I could peer up under the chassis as I lowered it down to the
table, and I saw a brief ZZZtttt.
It was in the high voltage section, a lug had a couple of HV connections on
it, and one of them
was not soldered.  It was hidden under the soldered joint above it. So what
apparently was
happening was the connection was made when the TX was laying
on its side or upside down, but when the TX was placed flat on its feet, the
weight of the power
transformer tweaked that
joint slightly, opening the connection... Sheesh.... So I
soldered it up and that was the end of
the intermittent problem.  After than I went through and looked at the rest
of the connections,
hunting for any more unsoldered joints.