More on DX-40 Fix

Davies, Doug A FOR:EX Doug.Davies at GOV.BC.CA
Wed Sep 6 13:55:59 EDT 2006

Last night the plan was to try a 6146B in place of the original 6146 in
the final of my DX-40 restoration project.  With the original I was not
able to maintain the 125mA load.  Well, I think I may have another
problem that may or may not be related to the first.  As I was bringing
up the load control, I heard some crackliing and popping that sounded
like it was coming from the power transformer.  Further checks revealed
this was indeed the case.  So, I think I'm suffering from the common but
dreaded problem of the very old transformer finally packing it in.  This
may or may not be related to the loading problem but I didn't want to
continue the checks with the possiblility of the transformer arcing and
causing other problems.  I have read numerous notes stating there is no
substitute for this transformer and that reconstruction of the power
supply is the only definitive way to fix the problem.  If anyone has
information on the re-build, I would appreciate it.  The saga
continues.....

Doug  VE7DRF