Oil-filled Capacitors

Mel Vance N7OKL icra at GALAXYNET.COM
Tue Sep 12 22:08:32 EDT 2006

> First, I've been calling disposal companies, the fire department, etc.,
> looking for some way to dispose of these in compliance with EPA reg's
> without having to pay an outrageous fee.  Has anyone had any experience
> with this?  Secondly, it's against EPA reg's to "do commerce in items
> that carry PCB's."  How does this effect us glowbugs that periodically
> buy/sell radio gear produced before 1977?  Can we, in theory at least,
> be fined by the EPA?  Gawd, just when you thought it was safe to be a ham...

Our county transfer stations take most 'household hazmat' for free...up to a certain
amount.....some must be taken to the main site, but are still free....up to a certain
amount (like a ton or something like that). Some items do require filling out a form.

For just a couple caps, no, I do not think you would be up to an amount that would
net you a fine.

Oh crud....you got me to thinking.....just checked......I have about 150 of those
beasts sitting around in a cabinet outside........and no PCB's in any amount are
allowed in my city......

Mel
N7OKL