Cantenna contents

WD Milner heath at CAISTEAL.NET
Sat Sep 23 14:34:48 EDT 2006

At 2006-09-22 Friday 18:27 -0600, you wrote:

>I recall that there was a discussion here a while back about what can and
>can't be used in a Heathkit Cantenna .... as well as
>what has been used.  However, I dont recall if anyone ever said they had
>tried or thought of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
>Olive Oil is not flammable and I am wondering what others think of that as
>a possibility instead of Mineral Oil.    Mineral Oil
>is rather on the expensive side if you buy a gallon at the drug store
>....  but a gallon of olive oil wouldnt be that expensive.

Olive oil, like all plant based oils, can however go rancid which can be
very unpleasant.

I use regular transformer oil in mine. I got a gallon for nothing from the
guys at the local power company supply shop. PCBs shouldn't be an issue as
they have not been used in transformer oil since about 1970-1972.so as long
as you aren't salvaging from some very old comemrcial transformer you
should be ok.

73, Dean VE1CBF
http://www.ve1cbf.ca