source for CA3161 (or NTE2032)

Alex [Temple-Heath List] temple.heath1 at MIWWW.COM
Tue Apr 17 08:41:40 EDT 2007

I wanted to thank everybody that responded on and off list to my
query. I resolved the situation by using an old NTE8374 that I
happened to have in one of my junk box drawers. It's also a
discontinued chip but its an almost direct plug-in replacement for
the CA3161. Just had to set the proper levels at pins 3 and 4, and it
worked just fine. Difference is this one supplies just 15mA (instead
of 25mA for the CA3161), but everything seems to be working fine now.

BTW, earlier I also managed to get the circuit working by using an
outboard 4511 decoder/driver on a breadboard, but it needed a few
additional parts (transistors/resistors) for the conversion to work,
and also the display would had to be changed to a common cathode
type. So it wasn't as elegant a solution as the NTE8374, but still
doable. The suggested 7447 TTL chip substitution would of course also
be a good option.

Thanks again.

-Alex