Opinion on XIT/RIT/SPLIT wanted

Brian Wood wood at LPBROADBAND.NET
Sat Aug 25 12:40:38 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

This is a little off-topic, but the list has been pretty quiet lately, so
hopefully you won't mind. I would like to solicit your opinion on a topic of
interest to me.

Why would a rig need both a SPLIT function and a RIT/XIT? If XIT and RIT
show a whole separate line of transmit and receive info, and the frequency
is not limited to +/-1Khz or so, but to the entire band, isn't this in
essence, SPLIT mode? So why would one need an additional SPLIT mode?

Is it just an evolutionary thing, where RIT and XIT used to have just
limited range, where SPLIT had full range, or is there more to it than that?
Does *making* RIT/XIT have full range solve that?

I suppose I could relate this to Heathkit by asking, how did we ever survive
with SB-10x and HW-10x transceivers without RIT or SPLIT? I suppose the
SB-640 LMO solved that problem somewhat, right? And why did Hallicrafters
not survive, when things like the SR-400 Cyclone had 400W PEP input, RIT,
200 Hz CW filter, notch filter and NB all in one case about the size of an
SB-101, although admittedly a tad more expensive? Seems to me like they were
way ahead of the game. It's hard to blame the Japanese companies entirely
for the demise of U.S. ham radio mfrs.

73,

Brian, W0DZ