LMO Instability

Mark Johnson mvjohn at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat Dec 15 18:37:33 EST 2007

Sounds like the rotor on the LMO variable cap is intermittently making
contact. I've seen this many times. Once in a while you get lucky and a bit
of contact cleaner will do it. I use the cleaner and then I solder some
copper braid directly to the rotor shaft, (just ahead of the variable cap
frame; use a large HOT soldering iron), and the other end right to ground.
Use just enough braid to "wind" around the rotor shaft without interfering
with the rotor's ability to  fully turn. That's a permanent fix for sure!

Mark V Johnson VE3DJU/VE3DDI
----- Original Message -----
From: "Goss, Ed" <Ed.Goss at JHUAPL.EDU>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:28 PM
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] LMO Instability

Hello,
     I know this topic has been discussed before, but now that my SB-401 LMO
is acting up, I can't find the pertinent e-mails. The 401 has developed a
very warbly, unstable LMO...very noticeable when spotting. The frequency
jumps around when trying to zero-beat a signal.  Can someone remind me of
the fix for this? Thanks!
--Ed--