Ultimate 60's station - the SB Twins

Michael Waldrop w5rkl at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 13 19:49:20 EST 2007

I have two SB twin sets; an SB-400 and SB-303 along with an SB-401 and
SB-300.

Both twin sets work very well on sideband and CW.

Neither twin sets are transceive. I figure if I want to "transceive" I would
use a "transceiver" such as the SB-100, SB-101 or SB-102. Both twin sets are
strickly "seperates".

I do not run RTTY or PSK-31 with either twin set. If I run RTTY or PSK-31
I use a transceiver for that; another manufacture.

The green color of the cabinets is one area I do not care for. It reminds me
of the Navy's "Pea green" walls, bulkheads for you Navy guys/gals. Since
the cabinets of both twin sets needed repainting, I chose a light soft
gray color, a much better color. As for the green front panel, that
color is better than the cabinet colors and much better than that
brown color Heath switched to.

The front panel is laid out nicely, simple and easy to use. Heath should
have used metal for the LOCKED/UNLOCKED and LOAD control. That knob breaks
too easily.

Heath should have incorporated a noise limiter in both the SB-300 and
303 receivers. The SB-301 has a simple noise limiter which can be
put in the SB-300 and possibly the 303 but for now, I can live without
it.

73's
Mike
W5RKL