SB-401 Balance modulator diode replacements

Michael Waldrop w5rkl at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 1 16:14:27 EST 2007

Good afternoon everyone,

  I have an SB-401 that has 2 blown diodes in the balance modulator. The original diodes are
  color coded Brown/White/Brown which cross references to a 1N191 crystal germanium
  diode I believe. I have what appears to be some 1N210 crystal diodes. They have clear
  glass bodies, color bands are "Red/Brown/Black". Cross references that color code
  shows them to be 1N210's. Unfortunately, if the color code is correct, a 1N210 doesn't have
  the PIV and current rating the original Heathkit diodes has; original diodes 90VDC PIV
  at 500 mils where as the 1N210 has a 45VDC PIV at 27mil current rating. Even if the
  210's would work I believe the internal resistance would be too high to work in a
  balance modulator.

  Has anyone ever changed the diodes in the SB-401 and what component number did
  you use? I'd like to get this fixed but I don't want to install the diodes I have and have
  them fail.

  Any suggestions on diode replacements for the balance modulator in the SB-401? Thank
  you for any help/references/part numbers you can provide.

  73's
  Mike
  W5RKL

http://mail.yahoo.com