SB-401 Balance modulator diode replacements

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 2 10:51:47 EST 2007

If I remember correctly the 1N4148 is basically the
same diode as the 1N914 which is a silicon diode.
Silicon is not the best choice for a balanced
modulator.  The original diodes were germanium and
thus need to be replaced with either a germanium or a
Shoctkey (SP?) diode.

I also have used 1N34A or equivalent diodes in both
the Heath SB-Line and in some of the Collins S-Line
equipment as well.

If you have several just measure the resistance both
ways and use the 4 that have the most similar
resistances.

Glen, K9STH

--- "Charles W. Morehouse" <w4gbw at BELLSOUTH.NET>
wrote:

1N191 diodes are hard to find.  The substitute is the
1N4148.  Mouser has these.  I have used 1N34A diodes
in the past. Get a bunch and match 4 of them.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com

http://mail.yahoo.com