SB-401 Balance modulator diode replacements

W6CUX w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Jan 2 16:58:11 EST 2007

The correct replacement part for a 1N34 (etal) is a 1N5711 Schottkey
diode which started life as a hp 5800 series designed for balanced
modulator use. Data sheet
http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/3238.pdf

Mouser has these diodes as : http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/377.pdf
511-1N5711 at $0.10 ea.

The 1N5711 also works well in HM-102 and similar SWR detectors. A modern
application is in the Elecraft K2/100 antenna tuner.

The 1N4148 is NOT a good replacement for a balance modulator diode.

73, Stu W6CUX