HW-12A Help Needed - A Different Approach

Mark Johnson mvjohn at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Jan 17 19:04:38 EST 2007

Doug...Its been a long time since I've had an HW-12 but I checked the manual
and read the Circuit Description section and L2 is a driver coil and along
with L3 which is a driver plate coil, they form a bandpass tuning circuit
that covers the 75 meter range such that you don't need to tune the driver.
I'm guessing from that, it means they are quite broad and it eliminates a
"pre-selector" type tuning control set up.

If it were me, It hang my scope on the 12BY7 grid and with the main tuning
dial at mid frequency range, say 3.85, with a dummy load connected,  go to
tune and peak L2. I'd then move the scope to the inputs of the 6GE5 (grid)
and then peak L3. its likely a broad peak as opposed to a sharp peak. If you
don't have a scope, then it would be well worth getting one. If that is
impossible, I'd leave the slugs alone. If you must play, you could put a
watt meter on the output into a dummy load, and in tune position, see if you
can peak RF power out by adjusting L2, then L3. Again, I suspect the "peak"
will be broad. Just My opinion Doug.

Mark V. Johnson VE3DJU/VE3DDI