HW-12A Help Needed - A Different Approach

Stu Lyon w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jan 17 20:48:10 EST 2007

Hi Doug,

Although I don't have a HW-12A (or any Heath SSB transmitters left for
that matter) I have fixed a few.

I assume you have the schematic of the HW-12A:
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/heath/hw-12a/   sch1.gif , sch2.gif ,
_*sch3.gif*_ .

The  PA grid circuits are all about the same and are adjustable in the
same way. The trick is to measure the PA grid current w/o unsoldering or
breaking the circuit.  What you will need is a  0-1mA analog meter in
addition to the front panel meter. (no digital meters here).

With clip leads, place the meter across (in parallel) with R73, 47K.
*(sch3.gif)* One lead is the center tab of the bias adjust pot *(-)* and
the other the junction of  R72, 6.8K, 2W *(+)*. You now can measure the
PA grid current w/ a full scale of the meter since R73 is fully shunted
by the meter. Offset the balanced modulator enough to measure some grid
current. Now adjust the coils for increased grid current while turning
down the "Tune" pot to keep the meter off the peg.

Should work.
73, Stu W6CUX
One-half century a ham.