Heathkit HP-23 bridge rectifier failure

Dick KF4NS kf4nsradio at VERIZON.NET
Sat Jul 21 15:41:20 EDT 2007

Just had a strange failure in my HP-23A (purchased from a friend last
year for a spare) while using it with my Heathkit HW-100 on the bench.
Had been running some tests and making some xmit adjustments and quit
to go to lunch. Got back and the rig was off. Found the rig and cable
ok so started checking the PS which would trip with each reset of the
breaker in the HP-23. No mic was plugged in and vox was not on and rig
was in recv mode.

Only took a short time to discover that the HV was shorted to ground.
Suffered an avalanche through the four diodes in the bridge. All
looked fine, no burns or discoloration. They were all shorted.

This brings up a point. Is the breaker in there adequate? It appears
not to me. I am so lucky that the xfmr was not destroyed. Has anyone
replaced the breaker in there with a fuse or built a crowbar circuit
to improve protection?
73, Dick KF4NS
St Petersburg, FL 33714 USA
Keep The Glow!