Heathkit GR-54 audio hum fix

Ed Van Krevelen ed.vankrevelen at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 7 11:30:45 EST 2007

I would like to correct an error I made in my previous message.  The
statement “So it would seem that the circuit design used in the HW-16 is
superior to the original one used in the GR-64.”  I meant to say GR-54 not
GR-64.

The audio output circuits are similar in both the GR-54 and HW-16.

I did cover all the basics first with replacing power supply electrolytics,
replace every component, one at a time, in the original GR-54 circuit and
attached a separate external speaker.    All had no effect on the hum level.
 However, I would say that the tube that came with the radio was less noisy
when it would operarate when physically tapped.

The two replacement tubes (6HF8) I purchase may have been noisier than the
original.   I can only assume at this point that the HW-16 circuit design
could be more tolerant of noisy 6HF8 tubes.  Also in switching to the HW-16
circuit design in the GR-54, I kept the feedback loop capacitor C56.  I only
changed to the component values found in the HW-16 and added the capacitor
C87(HW-16).