Meter Repair...?

EP Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Thu Nov 1 16:48:37 EDT 2007

Good Day All,

I wonder if anyone reading this has ever come up with a possible solution to what I have here in the matter of panel meters...?

Specifically, I use an older Simpson brand 0-500 VDC meter to monitor the plate voltage of my 2x813 homebrewed linear amplifier (I employ multipliers to expand its scale to read 0-5000 VDC): to-day, while doing some trouble-shooting on the rig, there was a momentary internal short --- as a consequence of this, the meter needle now will NOT return to its "zero" peg, but rather, hangs-up at around the 2 KV point on the dial...

When I activate the B+ on the power supply, the needle travels right back up to 2.5 KV, as it normally does, but again --- with the supply off --- the needle refuses to drop down past about 2 KV anymore.

Is there any "fix" for this condition, or is a replacement meter in order...?

If it's the latter(!), I need a 2-1/4" x 2-1/4" bakelite Simpson, 0-500 VDC unit...please check your junque boxes...!

Thank-you...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ