SB-102, the saga continues

howard holden holden7471 at MSN.COM
Sun Sep 23 21:28:42 EDT 2007

Emil - I am sure other have asked, but do you have the correct finals in there - 6146, not 6146B?

I have not had this problem with my SB-102.

Howie WB2AWQ
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Emil Dular<mailto:WD4SCZ at AOL.COM>
  To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV<mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
  Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:16 PM
  Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] SB-102, the saga continues

  Thanks to all,

  A couple have pointed out the finals must be self-excited.

  I pulled the the driver and also subbed another 6CL6. With the tube out of
  the circuit the idling plate current on all bands goes about 60 milliamps.
  With a tube in and the bias adjusted for 50 milliamps on 80 meters it is 50
  on all the other bands except 40 meters. A quick check with "original" 6CL6
  it will be anywhere from 150 to 250 milliamps and bias adjustment has no
  effect. And it is oscillating to beat the band, plenty of something into the
  dummy load. The second driver starts out at 60 or so milliamps but with
  seconds starts a slow rise over the next 5 seconds to 150 milliamps.
  Swapping out drivers was the second thing I tried.  Neutralizing the finals
  again was first. What am I not seeing?  Guess the next thing to do is slide it out of the case and see if doing the voltage checks gives me a clue.

  Emil WD4SCZ

  To post - HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV<mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
  Archives - http://listserv.tempe.gov/archives/HEATH.html<http://listserv.tempe.gov/archives/HEATH.html>