heathkit AT-1 keying

Tom NØJMY n0jmy at HAYSEEDHAMFEST.COM
Tue Dec 16 15:20:09 EST 2008

Hi Joe.  As a rule, keying an oscillator and minimizing chirp are two
mutually exclusive concepts.

You could key the cathodes of the 6AG7 and 6L6 together.  To minimize
the chirp you add a few discrete components: a zener and a couple
caps/resistors to sequentially key the rig.  The oscillator comes on a
split-second before the final and stays on a split second after the
final cuts off.  I have the circuit from 73 or HR around here somewhere.

This can also be accomplished with a couple of miniature relays in a
small project-box, all from Radio Shack.  Better yet, this circuit can
be used for QSK T/R switching up to about 20 wpm (YMMV) which kills two
birds with one stone.

Another solution is to leave the oscillator running but shift it's
frequency 2 or 3 kHz. out of the receiver's passband on "key-up".  Very
simple.  This uses a diode and a cap, as I recall.

Both of these last two circuits were in a Hints and Kinks compendium
some time back.  Also on the QST CD's.  I've got them around here
somewhere, too.  I could go an an archaeological expedition and dig them
up for you if you like.

I'd be interested in what the other fellows have to say.

Good luck in your search,
Tom

www.hayseedhamfest.com