CW filter weirdness

Emil Dular wd4scz at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 12 11:54:16 EST 2008

OK, I am in need of some erudite advice on a crystal filter anomoly in an SB-101.  I used to look at crystal filters as pretty much a "box of rocks" put them in like they are marked and they work.

Here is what happens, when in CW or USB with the filter selector in the SSB position when you tune to zero beat the carrier as you increase the frequency you get the high pitch dropping to zero and an abrupt cutoff past. That is the high side is greatly suppressed, as you would expect.

Switching the CW filter in, the background noise diminishes, but now tuning to zero beat, there is no abrupt cutoff nor is there the narrow notch on would expect. For those familiar with Direct Conversion receivers the blasted thing is just about like tuning an HW-7.

I looked and the filter is installed.  I could understand it not working at all more easily than I can see what is happening here.  What am I missing?  My simple mind is hoping for a simple solution!

And does any one have an SB-301-2 (P/N 404-284-1) for sale?

73 Emil WD4SCZ