CW filter weirdness

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Feb 14 01:32:39 EST 2008

On 13 Feb 2008 at 21:28, Chris Iwata wrote:

> But, rather than having a wide open
> response, I would  think a defective filter would have virtually no
> response.

Not so, Chris.

I have a correct (non-SB-104) Heathkit 400 Hz CW filter in
my HW-101 that exhibits very high insertion loss, and a very
strange passband. I think one of the crystals or another
component in the filter is toast.

I have another filter to replace it with asap.

My SB-102 exhibits none of these symptoms when switched
to the CW position and it uses essentially the exact same
method to switch the exact same model filters as the HW-
101.

Ken Gordon W7EKB