W5M Power Xfrmr Question

Alex [Temple-Heath List] temple.heath1 at MIWWW.COM
Sat Jun 28 15:59:48 EDT 2008

I don't have much experience with Heath audio amps, but I do have a
Fisher X202B late 60's vintage tube amp. After several hours of
listening the power transformer gradually gets quite hot, you can't
leave your hand on it for more then a few seconds.

I'm guessing the manufactures of the time thought that the savings of
using a somewhat underrated transformer would be offset by making it
easy for the customer to order a new one if it ever burned out. But
what they never though of is that nowadays anyone would still be
using 60-year plus amplifiers, with weakened transformers due to so
many hot-cold cycles, and no easy way to find a replacement.