Heathkit Weather Station-ID-5001

Craig Willard cwill10041 at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 29 13:05:12 EDT 2008

I have been troubleshooting my ID-5001 this weekend and have found the following: Upon initial power up in the “set” mode the time flashes.  I cannot cycle through the hours, minutes, month & year when I press the “enter” button on the front panel.  After one minute the clock begins to show time sequentially from 12:00 AM.  The seconds count up and the time advances from that point.  In the initial “set” mode on power up I can change the clock hours only with the keyboard by pressing different keyboard numbers but I cannot cycle to the next item on the display (hours, month, year, etc.).  When I connect the temperature, wind and wind vane sensors on the boom assembly, the display does work.  I get wind movement & speed indications on the front display by turning the sensors in both directions.  I can also hold the temperature sensors in my hand and as they warm up the temperature display increases on both the outdoor & indoor display. The keyboard is wired correctly and I have positive connections at the keyboard PC board and the plug (P409).  All the IC’s and transistors are in the correct place and all my solder connections and plugs are good.  I think I might have a bad chip somewhere but do not have enough knowledge to take this further. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!