Fw: [HEATH-TEMPE] OFF TOPIC QUESTION.

Peter A Markavage pmarkavage at JUNO.COM
Mon Nov 3 17:51:18 EST 2008

416's are all over the place and can be had cheaply in comparsion to some
of the other WECo tubes. Design operating frequency for the 416 series
was around 3950 MHz. As you moved down in frequency, gain dropped off
and generated tube noise increased. You also needed a KS-14134 tube
socket which were not easily found.

Good 417A front end designs can get the noise figure down to 2db or a
hair under. Transconductance for the 417A was typically 24,000 micromhos.
Compare that to some of the other front end tubes of that day.

Pete, wa2cwa