Tuning problem in SB-101

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Sep 4 00:13:33 EDT 2008

I am attempting to resurrect an SB-101 that has been
stored for about 20 years. This rig will be used by a retired,
handicapped policeman, so I want it to work correctly.

At the moment, the only really serious problem I am having
with it is that it will not tune below 25 Khz above the bottom
of each band.

The LMO is acting like an internal stop is incorrectly placed.
The frequency is correct. It just won't tune below, for
instance, 3575 Khz on 80 meters.

However, as I remember it there are a stack of "washers"
(for want of a better word) on the shaft. Each washer has a
short "lever" on an edge, with the end of the lever turned
down, and after the operator has turned the shaft a certain
number of turns, those turned-down ends all line up and act
as a stop.

I am wondering if it is possible that two or more of those
things has "stuck"?

I seem to remember that someone else here had a similar
problem a couple of years ago, but can't find the discussion
in the archives.

Anyone remember the problem and how to fix it?

I really don't want to dismantle the LMO, but at this point I
don't think I have much choice.

Suggestions?

Ken W7EKB