Tuning problem in SB-101

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 4 10:39:21 EDT 2008

Hi Ken

You are correct about the tagged washers which act as a stop in both
directions. The grease dries to a sticky and ultimately solid gunge so cleaning  and
regreasing is the only real option. You might be able to squirt some switch
cleaner on the problem if you can find a convenient hole in the VFO casing but
removal for cleaning is the most reliable option.

You might be able to remove the VFO on its own but I normally drop the  front
panel forward to make access much easier. Be careful with the moulded VFO
disk mechanism (calibrated 0 - 100) behind the front panel as they get very
brittle with age. Look and see if there is any evidence of crazing in the clear
plastic around the centre shaft as that is the area that is most  stressed.

I had heard that someone in the States was making new ones but never  managed
to track them down.

73

Bob

G3OOU