HW-16 Final Tube Meltdown

Robert Wood radiorob at SWBELL.NET
Sat Sep 6 11:43:45 EDT 2008

All,

I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is I could not find a replacement RF choke in my junk box, so I
decided to locate the source of the problem with the bad one.  I began removing
windings, and the inside magnetic wire came apart at the second winding.  I
exposed the magnetic wire and sanded off the shellac, and continuity tested
good.  I soldered the magnetic wire back to the RF choke lead and inserted it
back into the circuit.  (I'm sure the value u value is a little off).  I turned
on the rig and was able to receive on all bands with no excessive current, and
the final did not turn cherry red.

The bad news is the HW16 is now QRP.  Even after going through the
neutralization steps, the best she is able to do is about 2 watts.  Prior to the
meltdown she was able to put out about 45 watts.

I plan to purchase a replacement final off the Internet.  Until then, I'll use
it in QRP mode HI...

Again, thanks to everyone's help and assistance I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Robert Wood
K5MBA