How much capacitance

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Aug 24 13:52:32 EDT 2009

Although Paul brought up some excellent points in this
discussion, I fear that there were many other good points
left out of the discussion.

Tom of Hayseed Hamfest fame brought up at least one: the
tolerance ratings of the older electrolytics.

The first one that was ignored and yet is very important is
the internal resistance of the old vs the new ones.

 Internal resistance in the old ones was considerabley
LOWER than modern caps. Thus, leakage current was
higher in the older caps, and thus when they were
discharged, they showed much lower resistance to the HV
rectifiers.

This factor alone would result in higher in-rush current than
similar modern caps. I=E/R. If R is lower, I is higher.

Another factor left out is that Heathkit used transformers
which were PURPOSELY designed to limit inrush current.

See Rich Measures' site, http://www.somis.org for further
details on this little-known fact.

I'll have more later on this subject...

Ken Gordon W7EKB