[Heathkit] How much capacitance

Tom NØJMY n0jmy at HAYSEEDHAMFEST.COM
Mon Aug 24 10:00:06 EDT 2009

Back to the 180 uF @ 500V replacements that I sell for replacement of
the 125 @ 450V (say, in a Hunter Bandit, for example).

As far as re-engineering the designs of yesteryear being dangerous, well
lets take a look:

Mike M. brings up the good point of tolerance on the older
electrolytics.  These old circuits were designed around those wide
tolerances, so with the old -20 +80 standard, a 125 uF cap could
actually be anywhere from 100 to 225 uF and be acceptable for that circuit.

Even if more expensive electrolytics with a -10 +60 tolerance were used,
they could still fall anywhere from 112.5 to 200 uF.

Today's electrolytics are -10 +10.  That puts the 180 uF unit between
162 and 198 uF.  You can see my reasoning; is it faulty?

As for the 500V rating, that's an increase of about 11%.  Depending on
the year that the rig was designed, your line-voltage might have
increased by that much.

I add a little more protection by selling only cans rated at 105C.

As far and it goes, I still like the soft-start and other forms of
protection from in-rush (and whatever you call the opposite - when you
shut down and the caps discharge).

And, quite frankly, if it were my Heathkit or Drake amp or p.s., I would
use Mike Bryce's retrofit kit: www.theheathkitshop.com .  Now, those
boards are available for the most popular models, but not the widest
*range* of models, so there still seems to be a demand for these 180 uF
@ 500V caps and given the forgoing, I feel pretty safe in offering them.

All the best,
Tom - NØJMY
Hayseed Hamfest Co.