SB-102 - more troubles

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Jul 14 16:58:44 EDT 2009

On 14 Jul 2009 at 15:45, Bob Burns wrote:

> However, the long term fix is to remove the LMO  and properly clean
> and re-grease the variable capacitor. This is a fiddly job  but not
> technically difficult - just needs some patience and the right  tools.

The only problem with that idea, Bob, is that the SB-102 LMO is
spot-welded shut. There are no external screws that hold it
together.

However, MY SB-102 LMO has the same problem, so I intend to
drill the spot-welds out on mine (carefully) and will reassemble it
with self-tapping screws like the earlier ones have been done.

There is another way one can cure the SB-102 of the frequency-
wobble (which, by the way, is a VERY common problem with that
LMO), and that is to remove the aluminum tape covering the
various access holes on the LMO and use some DeOxit or other
similar cleaner through those holes.

This doesn't do as good of a job as disassembly and proper
relubing, but it will work.

Another possible cure is to simply replace the SB-102 LMO with
one from an SB-101 or SB-401.

Some folks think that the earlier LMOs are more stable than the
solid-state version in the SB-102, but I think that idea grew because
of the same problem that Brian is having.

My SB-102 LMO is much more stable than any of my SB rigs with
the tube-based LMO in them.

Ken W7EKB