SB-102 - more troubles

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 14 18:32:38 EDT 2009

There are two separate problems with the LMO.  The "warbling" is pretty common and is caused by the hardening of the "grease" used to lubricate the variable capacitor.  The "fix" is to clean the bearings and then use a good lubricant.

As for the calibration:  Unfortunately, the solid-state LMO used in the SB-102 was not built by TRW as were the tube type LMOs.  They are usually pretty close at the 100 kHz points but vary all over the place in between.  Now the tube type LMOs are well within 1 kHz all across the band.  Now there are a relatively few solid-state LMOs that are pretty accurate but, unfortunately, they are in a minority.

As for the "upper dial", they are only for a real rough estimation and there is slippage as you tune across the 500 kHz.  This is "normal" and you will get used to this.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com