SB-102 - more troubles

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 15 03:52:18 EDT 2009

kgordon2006 at verizon.net writes:

However,  MY SB-102 LMO has the same problem, so I intend to
drill the spot-welds  out on mine (carefully) and will reassemble it
with self-tapping screws  like the earlier ones have been done.

Hi Ken

I have a well worn and much used SB301 which I acquired second hand many
years ago. The self tapping screws in the LMO enclosure are showing signs of
not  staying tight so I made an experimental enclosure to see what could be
achieved using 16swg flat aluminium cut sheet for the six  sides held
together using 1/4 inch (or 6mm) square aluminium bar  tapped 6BA for the
fixings. The result is a rock solid case that just does not  give in any direction
and is relatively simple to make. There is a circuit and  photo in the
Vackar Oscillator section of my technical web site. The square bar  takes up less
space than a right angle fold. There is no reason why this  technique could
not be applied to the shape used in the Heath LMO  enclosure.

On a parallel theme I have been investigating the design of a valve  VHF
transverter to go with my SB101 and I discovered that some of the classic
1950/60 valve overtone oscillators like the Squier circuit have poor
stability, overheat modern small quartz crystals and are extremely sensitive to
grid circuit which is more stable than the Squier but still suffers from
(modern) crystal overheating which shows up as drift immediately  following
switch on and lasting up to a minute. Lowering the supply to the  oscillator
does improve matters. One of the best results to date in respect of
stability uses the crystal in a feedback loop from the anode tuned circuit to  the
cathode with the grid being grounded - switch on drift was almost zero and
no evidence of frequency wandering. All of the oscillators used the same
HC18/U  crystal for comparison and one half of a 12AT7 as the active device. I
will not  be using 6146 valves in the PA for 144MHz as Heath did.

73

Bob

G3OOU
G-QRP  6907