SB-102 - more troubles

RAY FRIESS rayfrijr at MSN.COM
Wed Jul 15 07:54:50 EDT 2009

 One needs to remember when the Heathkit rigs were manufactured and what the "state of the art" was back then.
They were very good rigs and were highly prized in their day.  Heathkit was known as the poor man's Collins for many reasons.

Compared to today's solid state rigs, naturally, they are not as stable and some of the construction techniques and operational methods are different today.

There were many articles published with the release of each model explaining modifications and ways to make them even better, just as there were many published for just about every other rig made by anyone else.

Personally, I dont think we should get too concerned and upset if they are not as rock solid as we might like.  They weren't designed or expected to be so back then.

I make some changes in rigs I obtain, but personally, I like to leave well enough alone as much as possible.  If I were to come into possession of a Model T, I wouldn't pull the engine out and replace it with a modern day engine just to get better efficiency.

Some people merely want the outer facade to look like an old rig, and gut the insides and replace it with modern circuitry.

I've seen articles published on how to do this with old Atwater Kent broadcast radios and similar type equipment.

If this is the goal, to just have an "original" outer facade, I guess that is okay.

Personally, I like an old rig to be as original as possible and yet still be reasonably stable on the air.  It's part of the charm of the old stuff.