Diode Replacement

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Mar 1 14:03:12 EST 2009

On 28 Feb 2009 at 22:14, David Goncalves wrote:
>  For the HW-101, what would be a good replacement for the 1N191

The 1N191 is a germanium diode, I believe. It can be
replaced with a 1N34A which used to be available from
Radio Shack, but is now available from Mouser.

> -
>  perhaps
> the 1N4148?

That is a very small Silicon "high-speed" switching rectifier,
and, yes, it could easily replace the 1N191.

Germanium diodes have a very slight advantage over
silicon diodes in that their reverse leakage voltage is about
0.3 volts, while in the silicon rectifiers, that is about 0.7
volts.

Where the 1N191 is used in the HW-101, that difference is
not important.

> It's used for an RF switch and simple rectifier. Just to note - this
> is not used in the balanced modulator. -- David Goncalves W1EUJ

Those in the balanced modulator are 1N34s, as I
remember it. 1N34s tend to deteriorate over time.

I routinely replace those with HP Schottky diodes from
Mouser. Those have been mentioned on this list several
times in the past. If you cannot find the Mouser part
numbers for those, I'll dig it out and post it here.

Ken Gordon W7EKB